Sunday, 26 August 2012

Great Barrier Reef

What a weekend!! Arrived in Cairns on Friday morning and the weather was amazing! Don't like to think what the temperature is going to be like in summer when it's so humid in winter. Our hostel was huge and has it's own night club and pool, which was good. After grabbing a late breakfast we headed down to the waterfront where we reached a really nice pool area and harbour- we even watched a helicopter land around 4 metres away from us. The next day was for the reef! We headed out to Green Island on a large boat in the morning. When we docked the views were like nothing I've ever seen. The island is only small, and you can walk around the whole thing in around 20 minutes. It's a beautiful beach around the outside surrounded by the crystal waters of the reef, and in the middle is a lot of trees and wildlife- there's even a hotel! After a walk around the island we went snorkelling and saw so much stuff, I couldn't believe my eyes. Huge turtles, bright blue and yellow starfish, giant clams, multicoloured fish and one of the girls even saw a stingray! Scary stuff. There was a rainforest that everyone was talking about somewhere in Cairns, but unfortunately we didn't have time to visit it. If I go back again, which I'm sure I will, that will be first on the list! xx


































































No comments:

Post a Comment