Monday, 26 November 2012
Airlie Beach and The Whitsunday Islands
The first word that comes to mind when I look back at this trip is 'Amazing'. Jeff, Ryan and I arrived into Airlie Beach on the 20th of November and headed to the marina, where we boarded our home for the next 3 days- the Atlantic Clipper. The Clipper accommodates around 60 people, all of whom arrive armed with beer and boxed wine, anticipating a trip to remember. Not long after boarding we set sail, the drinks starting to flow and the music beginning to play. It's safe to say that we were the loudest boat in the Whitsundays! As the sun set we took part in drinking games and other activities, allowing us to shed our inhibitions and make some new friends. But as good of an idea the drinking had been the night before, it didn't seem so clever at 6.30 am when we were awoken for breakfast! A buffet of assorted foods were served, none of which were tempting my queasy stomach. The sooner I got off the rocky boat the better! Luckily, we docked at Whitehaven beach shortly after. This beach is a place I'd recommend anyone to visit, as it is just perfect. The white sand, crystal clear waters and abundance of wildlife make a delight for the eyes- even those as hungover as I was! A woman in a second hand book store at Airlie told me that her daughter had been married at Whitehaven Beach, telling no one but herself, and surprising all of the family (who had thought that they were only there for a picnic!). I thought that it was a lovely story, and a perfect place for a wedding. I'll admit that I did spend most of the few hours we had there asleep, but I did awaken long enough to see a stingray, and a few Goanna lizards. Then, it was back on the boat where we were to head off to a bay for scuba diving. Scuba diving is not an activity I have ever been dying to do, but the boat offered a short dive for only $60- I would have been a fool not to! Equipped with our diving gear, we slowly swam deeper into the water from the bay, joined by shoals of vibrant fish and one particularly interesting fella, George. This specific fish is notorious on the clipper and at the bay, as he is the dominant male. He is a large Humphead Maori Wrasse, and in my opinion, extremely scary! I was probably the only diver out of my group not to stroke him, as I have a 'look don't touch' approach to fish. This did not bode well for me the following day at a different bay when one of the crew thought it would be funny to throw fish food at myself and other screaming snorkellers, so that fish would come right up to our faces and brush up against our hands and feet. One of these fishes was Elvis- of the same species as George, but a little larger- even more scary! That afternoon we docked back at Airlie beach, at the end of our unforgettable boat trip. But the trip as a whole wasn't over just yet. The three of us had another two days in Airlie beach. Both days were spent relaxing around Airlie lagoon- the only water where you didn't run the risk of being stung by jellyfish! The first night we received a free didgeridoo lesson courtesy of The Clipper. I wouldn't say I had a natural talent for this instrument, as the sounds I produced mimicked loud farts. However it was a good experience, and it was nice to hear Ryan play his newly purchased didge as he is skilled with the instrument. Later that night turned into a great success as I won the $300 cash prize draw organised by the boat! Many celebratory drinks were purchased with this, and I arrived back at the Gold Coast with only a little left. But it was all worth it, as we had the time of our lives!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



























No comments:
Post a Comment